Sunday, March 05, 2006

SS Ride & Hungry Dog Crit



OK, I am tired of referring to myself in the 3rd person. It seemed like a good idea at first, but after further review... not! So, from here on in I will no longer refer to myself as "Dad". Yea, me!

Another great weekend! Saturday we did a little singlespeed ride at the Pemberton Trail with the gang from
www.mtbaz.net. Tyler left his helmet in Grandma's car last week and we forgot to get it for the ride. Of course, we did not figure it out until Grandma called us to remind us about the helmet as we pull into the trailhead parking lot. Luckily, Chris had an extra helmet for Ty to borrow. Thanks, Chris!! There was about 17 riders in the group that hit the trails. This was Tyler's 1st long ride on a singlespeed. He rode as if he had been doing it for years.

Sunday was the Hungry Dog Crit and I planned on making it my first Crit race. The night before, I had a tough time sleeping. I guess I was a little too excited about the race. But, I woke up feeling good and ready to race. When we arrived at the venue, my stomach had other ideas. Thank goodness a port-a-john was near by. After several trips to the can, I decided it was not my day to race. I think it was the beans that I ate the night before - bad call on my part. Yes... I whimped out! Just call me Alice.



Tyler, on the other hand, did not whimp out. He went off in a group of 12 junior riders in the 18 and under category. Off the start, two of the older kids jumped off the front and were gone. Tyler and his buddy, Stephen, leaped into the 3rd and 4th spots and pulled away from the main group. The two of them continued to work together and lapped main field. About half way through the race, they announced a $50 Gift Card to Paragon Cyclery prime. That was enough to get Tyler out of the saddle and sprint for the prime win. He beat Steven to the line to grab the prize. Now, what to buy??? Tyler hung on to take 3rd place in the Juniors and 1st in the "young juniors".


For some more pictures, go HERE.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pic through the wheel! Next time, no beans for you!